Magic Leap CEO says second-generation headset will ship later this year
Magic Leap CEO Peggy Johnson says the mixed reality headset company will be shipping limited quantities of a second-generation device at the end of this year, with broader availability in the first quarter of 2022.
- Johnson said a launch of the Magic Leap 2 could be only months away
- The device is half the size of the first-generation headset and about 20 percent lighter.
- The device is optimized for professional use and is designed to be wearable for long periods, and it’s supposed to double the Magic Leap One’s field of view.
- “For frontline workers, the product has to be something comfortable that they can wear all day long.”
- Magic Leap has spent the past year transitioning from an all-purpose mixed reality company to a specifically business-focused one.
- Johnson told Protocolthat she sees a “massive” opportunity for enterprise AR headsets.
- Johnson says she sees a more viable short-term future in areas like health care or military applications. “The devices are still getting there. They’re not quite right for consumers, but they’re perfect for the enterprise.”