AREA recognizes that human-centered design is critical to building and deploying successful AR applications, devices, and services. The Human Factors Interest Group is a forum for members to exchange ideas, resources, and research on best practices.
Focus areas for this committee include the following as applied uniquely to AR:
- User research techniques
- Design methods
- Implementation success stories
- Latest research findings
- The Committee’s monthly meetings are highlighted by expert presentations. It then takes actions to implement learnings into discussions and AREA initiatives.
- For example, there are actions in place to extract the lessons learned from the recent Human Factors Committee presentations and summarize them into guidelines for UX Design for AR.
- The Committee is also looking at accessibility limitations of VR, safety concerns of AR.
- The Committee is studying research conducted at Emery-Riddle Aeronautical University on the user experience and usability of software, products, and processes.