Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality Improve Project Delivery
“Leveraging virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) on a project site helps to eliminate bottlenecks, improve collaboration, and enable lean delivery.” Readers may be interested in a long article by Vince Naviello, Virtual Design and Construction Manager & Patrick Sullivan.
Before 2020, technologies designed for remote work played an important but mostly supporting role. Project teams used simple video conferencing tools to meet over long distances. Digital twin technologies were evolving, guiding teams towards a deeper understanding of their facilities. Project teams who wanted to squeeze more value from their BIM data were turning towards emerging AR and VR applications. No one doubted the momentum behind these advances, but few could have predicted what came next.
As COVID-19 swept the globe, these digital technologies went from nice-to-have to mission-critical almost overnight. That’s when AR and VR started having their moment—a moment that’s quickly become the new way of working.
The article explores what that “new way” looks like, with a particular focus on:
- How BIM data and digital twin technologies drive immersive AR and VR experiences
- How VR drives efficiencies by immersing users in a virtual environment
- How AR supports smart decision-making by integrating real and digital environments
- The future of VR and AR technologies in lean project delivery
Explanations with examples are given on:
- Augmented reality, virtual reality and extended reality
- Relevant tools including digital twin, smart glasses and remote assistance.
- The context of Industry 4.0 and Pharma 4.0
The article goes on to explain how teams build interactive, immersive digital models, and walks through AR in action, as well as providing many of the benefits of AR to industry.
You can read the original article here Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality Improve Project Delivery