AR AND 5G IN THE ENTERPRISE
AREA-Directed Research: RFP Submission
Telecommunications companies around the world are heavily promoting 5G technology for delivering AR for entertainment and other consumer-facing services. Objective, vendor-neutral information about the ways in which AR projects and users will benefit with the introduction of 5G, and the risks and costs associated, is not currently available from a respected source.
The lack of high-quality information and in-depth, well-documented analyses about AR and 5G in enterprise is holding back the development of strategies in both enterprise IT (customers) and AR provider organizations.
The newest AREA-directed research project will provide its members with knowledge about the current status of AR and 5G for enterprise, and actionable information which members can use when planning their 5G strategies.
The goals of the AREA-directed research project are:
- To document, based on reliable sources, current status of 5G in enterprise (product categories, services and status of their introduction) prior to AR integrations;
- To document the status, risks and opportunities for AR on/in 5G-enabled environments as reported in recent or ongoing AR on 5G trials, proof of concepts and testbeds;
- To build a tool (e.g., a spreadsheet) to permit objective comparison of different AR technology vendors working on 5G products and services (AR and 5G ecosystem and landscape); and
- To provide in a report, based on analyses of current information compiled, a set of guidelines that AREA members can follow to keep up with and evaluate this trend over the coming months and years.
Key Questions the Project Will Answer
This project will answer questions including but not limited to the following:
- What is the status of 5G deployments in enterprise IT and environments?
- How will AR solutions using 5G differ from what is available today?
- What are the enterprise use cases for AR over 5G networks?
- Who are the technology, product and service providers leading the growth of this segment and what are they doing?
- What are the new technologies that enterprise IT departments may need to evaluate and manage in the future?
- What other technologies will enterprise IT managers need to use in conjunction with 5G in order to benefit when delivering AR to users?
This AREA research project will produce three types of deliverables:
- One or more member-exclusive reports describing the current status of AR and 5G in the enterprise, analyses of risks and opportunities and guidelines,
- An executive summary which is suitable for public release by the AREA to educate the broader AR ecosystem on the research findings.
- Tables in spreadsheets compiling and permitting use of research findings about:
- Benefits of AR on 5G (comparison of different features with and without 5G),
- AR technology vendors working on 5G products and services (AR and 5G ecosystem and landscape)
- Component types and costs
- Documentation of AR on 5G trials and demonstrations performed and published in the past 12 months will permit AREA members to build upon current status/latest research, and
- A member-exclusive webinar about the research findings and recommendations/guidelines.
Based on this research project, AREA members will be able to make better–informed decisions. The ability to identify where, when and how to use 5G for delivering AR will permit AR project managers and business analysts in AREA member organizations to plan ahead, design their future enterprise infrastructure, products and services strategically. With the insights this research will provide, members will reduce risks and maximize the positive impacts of this trend.
Proposal will include:
- Description of the research methodology to be used
- Project milestones and timeline
- Project risks and mitigation measures
- Potential or confirmed partners in the research
- Background and qualifications of the organization to perform research and any proposed partners
- Examples of other completed projects/reports
- Names and contact information for up to three references
All proposals will be evaluated by the AREA research committee chair and research manager on the following criteria:
- Demonstrated knowledge about the current status of 5G technologies for enterprise
- Clear qualifications of the proposing research organization and any partners in the domains of 5G, 5G for enterprise vendor ecosystem and strategic analysis of risks and opportunities, and
- Feedback of references.
Timeline and Deadlines
Please use the submission form below to submit your proposal on or before 12 PM Eastern Daylight Time February 10th, 2021.
The AREA will provide detailed replies to submitters on or before February 19th 2021.
Unless otherwise negotiated in advance, the research project is expected to take approximately 90 days. Research will be completed and finished deliverables provided to the AREA by May 28th.
Budget for this Project
The AREA Research Committee budget for this project is $15,000.
For answers to any questions concerning this project and the AREA Research Committee, please send an email to the Research Committee.