Background and Achievements
As a leading provider of information and communication solutions, Huawei has a globally recognized brand. It ranks at or near the top in several different business categories:
- Huawei is the largest provider of broadband access and wavelength division multiplexing solutions.
- The company ranked second in radio access networks and in IP router market share.
- The company is ranked second and third in market share for data center switches in China and in global Ethernet sales, respectively.
- Huawei is the third leading provider of smartphone retail sales.
The company’s technical communication departments have also won a number of awards:
- The Information Architecture department was awarded the Center for Information Development Management Best Practices Rare Bird Award for Content Re-use.
- The Global Technical Communication Innovation and Best Practices Department won the 2014 Center for Information Development Management Best Practices Rare Bird Award for the Dynamic Content Publishing Tool.
At Huawei Technologies (USA), the Global Technical Communication Innovation & Best Practices department researches and develops prototypes for adopting new technologies and best practices for improving Huawei’s technical communication offerings. This includes evaluating and exploiting potentially disruptive technologies such as Augmented Reality for guidance in assembling, installing, maintaining and upgrading equipment and products in the field.
Challenges to Be Addressed by AR
The growing number of product lines, complexity of products and regulations defining where and how products are to be used present challenges to cost-effectively developing accurate, timely and easy-to-follow user documentation. Huawei maintains active research and development programs and groups to address and meet these and other challenges.
Augmented Reality promises to address the need to prepare, maintain and to clearly differentiate and make accessible to customers many versions of technical documentation across complex and large product lines. By recognizing a specific Huawei (or other) product quickly and easily, Augmented Reality-assisted systems will permit rapid and reliable searches in databases to present only the information relevant to the user. This will increase customer efficiency.
In addition, Augmented Reality will reduce the risk of errors due to incomplete or incorrect documentation. Task completion time can also decrease through Augmented Reality-assisted systems for assembly, configuration, planned and unplanned service and operation of complex products.
In addition to uses in technical communication, many other departments in Huawei are also researching Augmented Reality and how to apply it to everyday customer needs.
Why AR Is a Strategic Area
As the world leader in ICT, Huawei is at the forefront of new and emerging technologies. Augmented Reality is a fundamentally game-changing information communication technology that Huawei customers expect to have available to accelerate their business processes.
Huawei’s Augmented Reality-enabling technologies and the support of customers using Augmented Reality maintains the company’s leadership position with unique differentiators and presents potential new revenues for the company.