Brainwaive, LLC is an advisory, consultancy and solutions firm working at the unique and critical intersection of emerging technologies and cybersecurity in the enterprise. Brainwaive is committed to ensuring that companies exploring, deploying and refining AR, VR, and other immersive and mobile solutions have the insight, knowledge, and tools they need to fully understand security risks and how to mitigate them.
Through its business, technology, and cybersecurity services, Brainwaive helps clients across industry verticals better understand how AR, VR and other immersive technologies can benefit their business operations and impact their efficiencies, competitive advantage, safety, and security.
Brainwaive’s team of experienced professionals work alongside clients to help them optimize immersive technologies and to strengthen their cybersecurity posture.
Background and Achievements
Brainwaive’s team of security and emerging technology experts has strong experience in technical standards development and state-of-practice evaluation of industrial Internet and connected device systems security, including AR/VR environments and penetration techniques on consumer electronics. The Brainwaive team has led hundreds of industry projects developing, commercializing, managing, and protecting nearly a billion dollars’ worth of IT products and services. These projects span AR, VR and IoT wearables, telecom, wireless mobile computing, and infrastructure. Highlights of Brainwaive’s work include:
- Principal Investigators for the Data Security for Enterprise Wearable Augmented Reality Solutions; Augmented Reality for Enterprise Alliance (AREA) 2017
- Research and developers for the AREA’s Technical Report: Wearable Enterprise AR Security -Framework and Test Protocol
- Consulting Lead of the Digital Worker Interest Group. EPRI 2017/2018
- Principal Investigators for Augmented Reality Use in Nuclear Power Plant Construction; EPRI 2017. (EPRI #10006436)
- Principal Investigators for the Mobile Technology Guidebook; EPRI 2017
- Principal Investigators for the Mobile Technology Guidebook; EPRI 2016. (EPRI #3002008762
- Co-Authors of the Mobile Technology Guidebook; EPRI 2015. (EPRI #3002006660)
- Co-Authors of the Industrial Internet Connectivity Framework. Industrial Internet Consortium; Feb 2017
- Co-Authors of the Industrial Internet Security Framework. Industrial Internet Consortium; Sept 2016
- Subcommittee Chair and Contributors on several IEEE Standards initiatives regarding mobile device and AR cybersecurity
Challenges to be Addressed by AR
AR, VR, and emerging mobile technologies in the enterprise have the potential to transform business across markets. But these technologies also open new, unique, and significant threat vectors and potentials to the enterprise. AR can result in significant disruptions to safety, privacy, finance, and operations. Further, with AR’s market advances, addressing the security risks is becoming more pressing. AR solution vendors, as well as enterprises deploying those solutions, must anticipate and directly address the security risks that this technology can introduce, as exploitation of AR systems can have very serious implications.
Why AR is a Strategic Area
Organizations around the world are exploring, finding, and deploying ways to improve productivity, quality, and safety with AR. The use of AR is appealing and the movement towards its use is well underway. But there are a range of questions that need to be addressed, including the implications of bad actors intentionally corrupting AR interfaces or procedures. AR devices represent doorways through which bad actors can use surveillance, infiltrate, and potentially commandeer and misdirect critical resources and functions. Security on enterprise AR projects and use is critical as AR interfaces or procedures open up new, unique and significant threat potential to enterprise assets. In these complex early days, many enterprises may not have the expertise or tools to address the issues and navigate the landscape so that they can ensure the security of their systems and data.