Thank you for your interest in the AREA-Directed Research Program. The RFP submission period has ended. If you submitted an RFP for consideration, you will receive a detailed reply on or before August 18, 2017.
The AREA seeks to receive proposals for a funded research project to develop a full set of best practices and tools that its members will be able to use when performing return on investment (ROI) analyses of their enterprise AR projects, and a case study that the AREA can use for industry education campaigns.
Organizations with relevant expertise in ROI analysis are invited to respond to the invitation by August 14, 2017 using the guidelines provided on this page.
One of the factors that an enterprise decision-maker needs to consider when evaluating if and how much to invest in an AR project is the time period before the benefits accrued as a result of investment is equal to or exceeds the required investment level.
Today, there are no best practices or guidelines for how to prepare the ROI for AR introduction. Every company must develop a custom (proprietary) ROI study/analysis.
The goals of this research project are to:
- Define and answer common questions about how to measure ROI for enterprise AR projects. The AREA members will then be able to follow the best practices and guidelines when developing ROI estimates for their internal decision makers, or to assist their customers and partners in the development of ROI estimates for AR.
- Increase understanding and demystify ROI for AR across the industry and ecosystem (members and non-members) through an information/awareness campaign.
The member-exclusive report will provide:
- Assessment of similarities and differences to consider when preparing ROI analysis for AR versus ROI for other modern (and deeply impactful) enterprise technology introduction initiatives (use these as references)
- Based on interviews and research, estimates of:
- the cost of different types of components, services and manpower/effort that are required for different AR projects (choose several use cases)
- the types and magnitude (rate) of benefits (Key Performance Indicators)
- Instructions for how to use the AREA ROI calculator.
The research group will base the report and tools largely on its experience in the domain and use the Web to research most current ROI best practices and summarize guidelines, including enterprise AR-specific KPIs. In addition, the researchers will interview AREA members and other stakeholders. By working directly with stakeholders from two or more AREA members in good standing, the research project will result in preparation of ROI estimates of one or more of their AR project(s).
The research team will provide to the AREA, for exclusive distribution to and use by AREA members, three deliverables:
- A report that provides AREA members with a full (extensive) set of best practices to prepare an ROI analysis for enterprise AR. This should be based on widely-accepted techniques and best practices for ROI of adjacent technologies such as IoT and mobile.
- An ROI calculator. This will be in the form of an annotated spreadsheet with sample formulas and instructions on how to fill in fields with which to begin preparation of an ROI estimate. It would be inspired by existing calculators. For example, http://www.kyrusmobile.com/roi-calculator/ or http://www.esecurityplanet.com/mobile-security/mobile-device-management-roi-calculator.html
- A case study (suitable for public release) with sample figures showing the use and interpretation of the ROI calculator tool in a fictional (or anonymized) organization.
Have questions about the Submission Process?
Watch the video below for additional information on the AREA RFP submission process.