Hot Technology Empowers People to ‘See’ Their Business in New Ways
PTC Provides Industrial Companies Clear Path to Value with Augmented Reality
A press release dated June 18 2018 by AREA member PTC. PTC Advances Leadership in Industrial Augmented Reality with New Product Offerings and Acquisitions. PTC announced at the sold-out LiveWorx® 18 digital transformation conference a wide range of new initiatives for augmented reality (AR) coming out of its business unit dedicated to the advancement and application of augmented reality in industrial settings.
Augmented reality is one of the fastest growing segments of the technology market. AR superimposes digital information onto a person’s view of the physical world. For manufacturers, augmented reality can enhance all functions within the product lifecycle, including engineering, manufacturing, marketing, sales, operations, and service. The transformative nature of AR and the vast opportunities available to businesses embracing AR were recently highlighted in a Harvard Business Review article, co-authored by Harvard Business School Professor, Michael Porter, and PTC CEO, Jim Heppelmann.
“We saw the significant benefit augmented reality could have for enterprises years ago, and the market is beginning to catch up and embrace the potential as well. Our recent momentum and continued focus not only strengthens our leadership in this space, but also enables PTC to help companies unlock the potential of augmented reality across all kinds of environments and use cases more effectively,” said Jim Heppelmann, president and CEO, PTC. “Our dedicated augmented reality business unit enables us to sharpen our focus on the application of AR in industrial settings and create additional opportunities for businesses.”
Award-winning Technology and Top Talent Meet Under Vuforia Brand
The dedicated PTC augmented reality business unit combines top talent and award-winning technologies, including the Vuforia® platform, the industry’s most advanced and widely adopted AR technology platform. PTC has leveraged Vuforia to expand the capabilities of its market-leading ThingWorx® Industrial Innovation Platform, enabling customers to visualize, instruct, guide, and improve interactions with physical things.
PTC’s augmented reality portfolio includes:
- Vuforia Engine – enables users to develop powerful cross-platform AR applications
- Vuforia Studio (formerly ThingWorx Studio) – enables users to reuse 3D CAD content, incorporate step-by-step instructions and IoT data, and scale AR authoring and publishing in industrial enterprises
- Vuforia View (formerly ThingWorx View) – with this universal browser, users can consume Vuforia Studio-created content on phones and tablets running iOS, Android, and Windows, as well as digital eyewear like Microsoft HoloLens
- Vuforia Chalk™ – enables technicians to get remote assistance from experts
- Creo® Design Share Solution – enables users to easily share Creo® 3D CAD content in augmented reality with partners and other stakeholders
Source: full press release.