CIO: 9 examples of how companies are using AR at work
The scenarios explained in the article include:
- Pilot in emergency based on FedEx Express cargo airline – Smoke Assured Vision Enhanced Display (SAVED) which delivers vision and oxygen to a pilot in an emergency.
- AR helping humans to interface with IoT data collected from devices more quickly e.g. Amazon and Vuzix collaboration
- Engineering walking through complex designs
- Navigating factory floors e.g. at Volkswagen for maintenance, inventory, inspections, etc.
- Porch home improvement startup’s collaboration with AR provider Streem can provide quotes and fixes even before a contractor has turned up, using machine learning and computer vision.
- Boeing has reduced wire repair time by 25% in the belly of their planes by using handsfree AR solution powered by Skylight software by Upskill, one of the members of The AREA.
- Mixed reality hard hat – French company GA Smart Buildings are achieving more precise quality control over the assembly of mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) systems as well as cast concrete.
- Paccar used AR in the design phase of their huge semis and built a hologram that’s the full size of an 18-wheeler, replacing this part of the design phase that once was done with clay models.
- AcuVein has developed a mix of laser scanning and AR to reduce the number of failed attempts at sticking a needle in a patient’s vein with impressive success rates.
The full article can be read on CIO.com.